SPOTS WITH HIGH ACCIDENT RATE
We prepare a yearly overview of dangerous road locations on national roads that are managed by the Slovenian Roads Agency and DARS, the Slovenian Motorway Company. Dangerous road sections are those, on which at least one traffic accident with an injury has occurred in the last three years. They must also have an incidence of traffic accidents with injury that is higher than the critical value for similar road sections.
Definition of dangerous road sections is a multi step process.We determine them with the help of statistical traffic accidents database (traffic monitoring and count, road network and traffic accidents) and on the basis of recommendations from European Union for establishing a system for managing dangerous road sections. We identify separately dangerous road sections and intersections. Over the years, this methodology has been upgraded several times in order to obtain optimal results according to available date.
The locations where accidents occur frequently are furthermore examined on the field. During our visit of specific location, we examine the traffic regulation and the road alignment (subsection or intersection). We also arrange a meeting with the local police officer and prepare image and video material for further analysis.
Following the analysis,we suggest for each and every location various measures which would improve traffic safety. Measures can be short - term (or low-cost, as they can be effective for a longer period of time, regardless of their costs) or long-term. If further analysis are required, special studies are made.
Identified "black spots" on the national road network for 2014-2016 - Step 1 (52 black spots)
Identified "black spots" on the national road network for 2014-2016 - Step 2 (58 black spots)
APPLICATION »TRAFFIC SAFETY ANALYSIS«
We develop annually the "Traffic Safety Analysis" application which enables users to produce reports with a traffic safety analysis for the selected section or municipality with its overview based on traffic accidents data for the period 2004-2016 in PDF format. The user can select among the section, road section part, the municipality, the period of analysis, and the cause of the accident.
The traffic safety is presented in the selected section, municipality or cause of the accident in different ways, namely:
- number of accidents and their consequences per year;
- costs of road accidents per year (level 2016);
- development of road accidents since 2004;
- number of accidents and their consequences;
- number of traffic accidents per road section;
- number and type of participating vehicles;
- number of traffic accidents per type and cause;
- number of road accidents per road surface and the condition of the road at the time of the accident;
- number of traffic accidents according to the state of traffic and the state of the weather at the time of the accident;
- number of traffic accidents per hourly interval of the day;
- number of participants per road accidents successively;
- number of participating vehicles successively.